directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: studio build and install on Win 64 bits
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 13:38:58 GMT
Hi Antoine,

On 11 janv. 2011, at 14:22, Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:

> I tried this Apache Directory Studio.

Thanks for taking a few minutes to test it.

> First of all, it installs itself under C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Directory Studio\Apache
Directory Studio.exe.

I guess you didn't add the '(x86)' string in the installer yourself...
Was it specified in the text field when you selected the install path?

> One expects a 64 bit app on Windows 7 to install under C:\Program Files instead.

It should have.
Looks an issue related to the NSIS utility we are using to create the installer.

>> NSIS documentation at [1] indicates:
>
>> On Windows x64, $PROGRAMFILES and $PROGRAMFILES32 point to C:\Program Files (x86)
while $PROGRAMFILES64 points to C:\Program Files. Use $PROGRAMFILES64 when installing x64
applications.

Easy to fix... :)

> The next issue is that the program bails out immediately.
>
> The error message shown in a popup is : "The Apache Directory Studio executable launcher
was unable to locate its companion shared library"

> I started the program with Procmon.exe watching events to see what it is trying to open
but did not find out the name of the missing library.

I wished I had set up the proper set of plugins on the first shot, but it's hard when you're
doing things blindly...

I'll try to find a PC with a 64 Bit Windows to test this and fix it.

Thanks for having tested this version, I hope to get back to you with a working one very soon...

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

[1] - http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Docs/Chapter4.html#4.2.3

> Regards,
>
> Antoine
>
> On 1/10/2011 10:10 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>> Hi Stefan, Antoine,
>>
>> I updated Studio to the latest Eclipse dependencies (Helios release, version 3.6.1)
last week.

>> A Windows 64 Bit distribution of Apache Directory Studio is now available.
>>
>> Unfortunately I don't any machine/VM to test it.
>>
>> Do you mind trying it out?
>>
>> It is available at our nightly build Hudson job:
>> https://hudson.apache.org/hudson/job/dir-studio-jdk16-osx-applications/
>> Or, you can build it from Studio's current trunk (with 'win32-x86_64' maven profile
activated).

>> Regards,
>> Pierre-Arnaud
>>
>> PS: Don't pay attention to the Eclipse icon on the "Apache Directory Studio.exe"
launcher file. It's in the process of being replaced by a proper one in a couple of days.