directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Should modifications made on cn=schema stored on disk ?
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:37:44 GMT

On 14 janv. 2011, at 10:23, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> On 1/14/11 9:58 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>> Hi Emmanuel,
>>
>> I think it should.
>>
>> In the current state, does this mean that any modification done on ou=schema will
not be saved and will be lost if the server is rebooted?

> No, modifications done on ou=schema are persisted on disk. Only the modifications done
on cn=schema are not persisted, AFAICT.

Hum... I'm confused...
You just said the opposite in your first mail: "[...] modification is not stored on disk in
ou=schema"...

> I'll create a JIRA and a test to demonstrate the issue.
>
> Fixing it should not be a problem, it's just a a matter of converting the schema element
(which is passed using the schema element syntax) to a meta-schema entry, and propagate it
to the backend.

> Remember that modifications to cn=schema are *not* allowed (it's a read only data structure)
from outside the server, but it's always possible to modify the rootDSE subschemaSubentry
attribute, as it contains all the loaded schema element. This will, in fact, impact the cn=schema,
as it's just a LDAP exposition of the loaded schema.

Hum... I'm confused again...
To my knowledge, 'subschemaSubentry' attribute value points to the "cn=schema" DN and that's
in this particular entry that you can access the schema elements (via 'attributeTypes', 'comparators',
[etc.] attributes).
I'm 100% sure 'subschemaSubentry' attribute does not contain any loaded schema element.