directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Maven 3.0 plugin dependencies
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:10:48 GMT

On 27 janv. 2011, at 16:00, Felix Knecht wrote:

> On 01/27/2011 03:49 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>> On 27 janv. 2011, at 15:46, Stefan Seelmann wrote:

>>> Another idea: we can also use the 'project' SNAPSHOT till we release
>>> one of the big projects. WDYT?
>>
>> + 1
>>
>> AFAIR, that's what we used to be doing before.
>
> The problem about SNAPSHOT dependencies is, that there's no garantee, that they exists
when they are used:

> - Imagine the snapshot repository deletes all snapshots older than X days. So it's very
probably that a snapshot isn't available anymore after X days if no svn commit force any CI
to deploy a newer snapshot.
> Hence the TLP pom.xml snapshot isn't online available anywhere. How to expalin this to
a new user/developer who just did a checkout of the shared module and wants to build it?

Yeah, that's true.
But as the 'project' sub-project is being included in the 'trunks' checkout and being built
first, you should not be depending on snapshot repositories.

That said, for the casual user/developer who only checks out 'shared',  as you point out,
it can be a problem.

Releasing 'project' is so easy, I guess we shouldn't be shy to release it often, when needed.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud