directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [OSGi] Studio Build - Summary of IRC Conversations
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:04:03 GMT
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the conversation recap and i18n bundle experiment.

Good news!
I was able to import correctly (with a few adjustments in the pom.xml) the Shared i18n as
an OSGI bundle (equivalent to an Eclipse plugin) in the current Studio trunk.

I modified all the others 'libraries plugins', the ones that are not OSGI-fied in Shared and
ApacheDS trunks and for which we create a wrapped plugin version of it, to point to the migrated
Shared i18n OSGI bundle instead of the custom one.

I was able to launch and run Studio as usual within Eclipse in a "debug session". [1]

I then used the I18n class from the Shared i18n bundle in Studio's code and refactored the
original I18n class by renaming an enum element I was using. [2]
Everything went fine and Studio's code was updated with modification. [3]

So, as a conclusion, it works!

Now, a few notes about the modifications I had to do to make it works. [4]

As you can see, I had to move the generated MANIFEST.MF file to the 'META-INF' location (which
has been added to svn:ignore).
This is mandatory for Studio in order to run the bundle within Eclipse in a "debug session".

I also modified the usage of expression to make them compliant with Maven 3 policies, and
used ${project.name} instead of ${project.artifactId} for 'Bundle-Name' specification.

One last note about the branding of our OSGI bundles Bundle-SymblicName specification.
The current scheme ${project.groupId}.${project.artifactId} produces some "unsual" OSGI Bundle-SymblicName,
like "org.apache.directory.shared.shared-i18n" for the Shared i18n bundle.
This is completely valid (the '-' char is part of the specification), but I'm more used to
seeing a package-like identifier (like "org.apache.directory.shared.i18n" (without the repetition
of 'shared' and the '-' char).
Maybe we can change that?

Thoughts?

Regards,