directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject We need to implement Transactions in the server
Date Sat, 15 Jan 2011 11:58:10 GMT
Hi guys,

after my previous mail on AP handling, here is a second mail about
Transaction management in ApacheDS.

As LDAP guarantee that every operation made on an entry is ACID, we have
a problem when such an operation impact more than one entry. This is
typically the case for AP, if we decide to modify the selected entries
immediately, but not only.

A new RFC has been issued (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5805) which
expose a way to implement transactions, it may be time to think about it
for a future 2.0-Mx version.

In any case, we have to have a solution that guarantees that we can
update 2 entries and have a server in a stable state, even if one of the
updates fails, or if the server crashes in the middle of the operations.

In fact, we need two things :
- external transactions, as described by the RFC
- internal transactions for our technical reads

(once we have the internal transaction, exposing them to the user should
be just a matter of adding a control).

Note that I don't have the complete fields covered here, it's pretty new
to me, and this was just a matter of starting a discussion on this matter.

Thoughts?

--
Regards,
Cordialement,