directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject [Vote] Release scheme change
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2011 22:41:27 GMT
Hi guys,

we discussed about the release scheme this week, and reached a kind of
agreement that the current release scheme is not a perfect fit.

One solution we agreed on would be to switch to use the Eclipse release
scheme, which is the following :

Normal releases :
     major.minor.fixes where some API modification requires a major
release, a feature addition requires a minor release, and the bug fixes
leads to a fixes release

Before a major release :
     M1, M2, ... : as many milestones as necessary to converge to a API
full and feature complete major version
     RC1, RC2, ... : as many release candidates as necessary to
stabilize the major release, giving an opportunity for users to test the
candidate, and for us to fix the errors.

We could also generate nightly builds adding a vAAAAMMJJ extension to
those builds, as proposed by Jesse.

I propose a vote now, to see if everyone agrees with this schema change.

[ ] +1 Yes, change the release scheme as described above
[ ] +/-0 I don't have an opinion
[ ] -1 No, keep the current scheme or follow another scheme

Thanks !

--
Regards,
Cordialement,