directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [Release Scheme] Contract/Policy with users for releases
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2011 14:46:05 GMT
On 1/6/11 2:15 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

>> Don't

>>> Definitively, yes.
>> I think the database format must be stable between micro (bugfix) and
>> minor (feature enhancement) releases. For major releases it is
>> acceptable to change the format and to provide a migration tool.
>>
> This is exactly what I am trying to get consensus on.  The DB format impacts
> compatibility and so it's something we must consider based on our versioning
> scheme.
>
> But with this milestone approach we only have to lock in the format when we
> reach the RC stage.

I think we have now reached a consensus.

Can we formally switch to this scheme ? Is a vote necessary ? I don't
know, but may be a report on a separate thread, plus an update on the
web site could help.

I know that those long mails with many things being discussed are hard
to follow. A short mail stating we are switching to the eclipse version
scheme would help here.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,