directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ADS 2.0 : what, how and when?
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2011 17:19:47 GMT
On 1/5/11 5:25 PM, Felix Knecht wrote:
>> Hmm, too bad. We need MMR. I overlooked that then. The question is : can
>> we do the MMR between RC1 and RC2 ?
>
> Concerning Betas and RCs:
> "The term release candidate (RC) refers to a version with potential to
> be a final product, ready to release unless fatal bugs emerge. In this
> stage of product stabilization, all product features have been
> designed, coded and tested through one or more beta cycles with no
> known showstopper-class bug." [1]
>
> IMO a RC is feature complete regarding the common definition. Maybe
> I'm missing something, but if so this should go either into 1.5.x
> (IIUC the 1.5.x "releases" are a kind of "beta" for 2.0) or RC1.
It's a bit more complicated. But I'll forward you to my extended answer
to the last mail alex sent, I tried to clarify those terms WRT the past
discussion we had during those last 6 years.

But basically, yes, I do think that RC are feature complete releases.
And I also do think that we are done with the beta cycle, so there is no
need for another 1.5.x version.

Eclipse is acting differently in this area : they are using milestones
(M1, M2, ...). It's probably better. And trust me (Pierre-Arnaud and
Stefan could easily confirm that !), there are *many* API modifications
between a X.Y.0 eclipse version and a X.Y+1.0 !

--
Regards,
Cordialement,