directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <>
Subject Re: ADS 2.0 : what, how and when?
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:13:11 GMT
On 1/5/11 4:48 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Kiran Ayyagari<>  wrote:
>> the LdapAPI is already stable and perfectly shielded from the
>> internals of shared, so
>> I see no issue from a user POV cause they are dependent on the
>> LdapConnection
>> interface only
> If this is the case then and the client API does not expose any other shared
> interfaces then we're golden here.
I will not be as optimistic, sadly. There are a few things we can
improve in the LdapAPI, even if it has demonstrated to be stable when we
used it in Studio (yes, you heard me : Studio is now entirely based on
the Ldap API !!!)

Here is a list of things I think we should add in Ldap API :
- make all the API schema aware. This is quite a big part of the job. It
has started, we already have a DnFactory, but it's not finished
- decouple the network layer from the API. Currently, we use MINA, but
some other might want to use Grizzly.
- adding a better support for Extended Operations and Controls. The set
of controls and extOps we are supporting is not enough.

It's not *that* big, but at least, it will take a couple of month to get
those things done. As you can see, none of those things are impacting
the server, though it's a bit blocking for the API release.

Unless we consider those things as features we can add after the 1.0

It's still an open discussion at this point.

Emmanuel L├ęcharny

View raw message