directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [Studio] Switch the 'default' property value of the LDIF Editor extension to 'false'
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2010 17:47:22 GMT
I quickly benchmarked the cost of the file check, it's almost insignificant...
It takes around 50ms to validate/invalidate a file (checking the first 10 first entries)...

Our LdifReader is quite fast! :)

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

On 10 déc. 2010, at 17:19, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:

> On 10 déc. 2010, at 17:10, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:

LDIF

>>> Are there any other servers using 'config.ldif' as default configuration file?
>>>
>> it is not that other servers have a special file named 'config.ldif' ,
>> any ignorant user can create
>> a new ldif file and save it as config.ldif and he will be surprised to
>> see a error popup while trying to
>> open it in studio.
>
> I understand, you're probably right.
> From a user POV, that makes sense.
>

>>> If yes, I have the possibility to pre-scan the file and validate or invalidate
the editor for a particular given file (but this has to be as lightweight as possible, especially
is there are multiple editor candidates).
>> this is an option but I would prefer not to do any such checks while
>> opening a file with
>> plain File -> Open option.
>
> I think that's the way to go. It's really a lazy-implementation and should only be triggered
for files named 'config.ldif'.
> That's the way Eclipse handles a lot of specific formats.
>

>>> Or, we could also rename the file to 'adsconfig.ldif' to avoid name collisions.

>>> This is already provided a standard functionality for file in the workspace (as
in the Java perspective), but not when you open a file from the 'File > Open...' menu item.
>>> In that case, Eclipse goes through a list of editor candidates based on their
extension definition (supported extensions, supported filenames, priority) and tries to find
the good one.

>> I would prefer to leave this default functionality intact and let user
>> decide if he wants to open
>> the configuration ldif file with a plain ldif editor or with our
>> configuration editor.
>
> The problem is that he can only decide that if the file is in his workspace (Studio installed
in Eclipse).
> In the RCP app, there's no workspace involved and we only have the 'File > Open...'
menu item to open files from disk.

> That's why I think our only option is to check if the file starts with the correct 'ou=config'
and 'ads-directoryServiceId=default,ou=config' entries.