directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Adding annotations to Configuration beans
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 16:36:27 GMT
On 6 déc. 2010, at 15:15, Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:

> On 12/6/2010 9:02 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>> Hi Dev,
>>
>> I successfully integrated the newly introduced ApacheDS Configuration Reader (with
all configuration beans) in the ApacheDS 2.0 Configuration Editor for Apache Directory Studio.
>> The UI is not completely finished yet, but I can already load a configuration from
an LDIF file and I have access to the values of each bean. It's working really great...

>> Now, that the configuration can be read, it also need to be written, and I started
working on a Configuration Writer.

>> In order to achieve this, I'd like to propose the addition of several Annotation
elements that would be used in the Configuration Beans to help both the configuration writer
and the reader.
>> Adding these Annotation elements would help maintaining the reader and writer loosely
coupled with the beans and would facilitate additions of new configuration items (like those
needed by Antoine, or others from third parties implementations).

>> There 3 annotations I'd like to introduce:
>>
>> - @AttributeType( attributeTypeId )
>> This annotation is intended to be used on a field of a configuration bean and indicates
which attribute type id this field is associated with.
>> I think it's a great addition as we're no longer in need to infer the id of the attribute
type from the name of the field ( same thing for having to truncate the 'ads-' prefix sometimes).
>> It's clear and easy.
>> Furthermore, only fields with this annotation should be read and written by the configuration
reader/writer (which allows the configuration beans to have extra fields that are not necessarily
read or written).

>> - @RDN
>> This annotation is intended to be used on a field of a configuration bean in conjunction
with the @AttibuteType annotation and indicates that this particular field is the one (and
only for a given configuration bean) to be used in the RDN of the associated entry

>> - @Container( containerRdn )
>> This is intended to be used on a field of a configuration bean and more particularly
on a field referring to a composite (List, Set, etc.) bean value. It indicates where the adding
bean entries are to be placed (in which container entry) like the 'ou=servers' entry under
the defaultDirectoryService entry.
> Once you have @Container annotations, maybe the ads-composite attributes can be removed
? I think they only exist as a hint to the configuration reader that there are subentries
to be read.

Yeah, we could definitely get rid of it after some small tweaks in the reader's code I think

>> Any thoughts on this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Pierre-Arnaud
> +1