directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Studio] Switch the 'default' property value of the LDIF Editor extension to 'false'
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2010 16:10:31 GMT
On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:

> On 10 déc. 2010, at 16:49, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:
>>> Hi Dev,
>>> I'm facing an interesting issue in the writing of the Apache DS 2.0
>>> Configuration Editor.
>>> As the ApacheDS' configuration is now based on an LDIF file, Studio's LDIF
>>> Editor always show up when opening the 'config.ldif' file from disk.
>>> This is due to the fact that the 'default' property value is set to 'true'
>>> in the LDIF Editor extension definition.
>>> It is defined as is in the following file, '[Studio
>>> Checkout]/plugins/ldifeditor/plugin.xml':
>>>
>>>   <extension
>>>          point="org.eclipse.ui.editors">
>>>     <editor
>>>           class="org.apache.directory.studio.ldifeditor.editor.LdifEditor"
>>>
>>> contributorClass="org.apache.directory.studio.ldifeditor.editor.LdifEditorContributor"
>>> ======>   default="true"
>>>           extensions="ldif, ldiflog"
>>>           icon="resources/icons/ldifeditor.gif"
>>>           id="%Editor_LdifEditor_id"
>>>           name="%Editor_LdifEditor_name"/>
>>>    </extension>
>>>
>>> I'd like to pass this value to "false" in order to allow the ApacheDS 2.0
>>> Configuration Editor to be opened specifically if the filename is
>>> 'config.ldif'.
>> hmm, this might confuse users who are connecting to other servers(and
>> they have accidentally trying
>> to open their custom ldif file named 'config.ldif' ).
>
> Are there any other servers using 'config.ldif' as default configuration file?

it is not that other servers have a special file named 'config.ldif' ,
any ignorant user can create
a new ldif file and save it as config.ldif and he will be surprised to
see a error popup while trying to
open it in studio.

> If yes, I have the possibility to pre-scan the file and validate or invalidate the editor
for a particular given file (but this has to be as lightweight as possible, especially is
there are multiple editor candidates).
this is an option but I would prefer not to do any such checks while
opening a file with
plain File -> Open option.
> Or, we could also rename the file to 'adsconfig.ldif' to avoid name collisions.
>
>> Can we have a "Open With" or something similar tab to open the config
>> file with different editor?
>
> This is already provided a standard functionality for file in the workspace (as in the
Java perspective), but not when you open a file from the 'File > Open...' menu item.
> In that case, Eclipse goes through a list of editor candidates based on their extension
definition (supported extensions, supported filenames, priority) and tries to find the good
one.

I would prefer to leave this default functionality intact and let user
decide if he wants to open
the configuration ldif file with a plain ldif editor or with our
configuration editor.

--
Kiran Ayyagari