directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <>
Subject Re: Partitions: partitionDir, workingDirectory, ldifFile
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:19:25 GMT
On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <> wrote:
> On 12/13/10 4:39 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>> Hi dev,
>> our current partition implementations use different fields/methods to
>> configure the location where partition data is persisted:
>> - BTreePartition defines a 'partitionDir' with getter/setter, this is
>> used by the JdbmPartition
>> - AbstractLdifPartition defines a 'workingDirectory' with
>> getter/setter, this is used by LdifPartition
>> - SingleFileLdifPartition defines a 'ldifFile' which is set by the
>> constructor
>> I'd like to propose to remove the existing fields and to add a new
>> 'partitionLocation' (or partitionPath? better names welcomed) field
>> including getter/setter instead:
>> - for JdbmPartition and LdifPartition this points to a directory in file
>> system
>> - for SingleFileLdifPartition this points to the single LDIF file in file
>> system
> Sounds good to me. How do you handle the different kind of underlying types
> though ? for both, files and directories. The concrete partitition
must still check if the given path is what it expects, i.e.
SingleFileLdifPartition must check partitionPath.isFile().

Another idea I also had was to use an URL. That may then be useful
e.g. for the Oracle partition where the location could be a JDBC URL.
But I dropped that idea because I think it adds complexity.

Kind Regards,

View raw message