directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Usage of Sequence numbers to manage AP updates
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:43:25 GMT
Hi,

in a recent mail, I suggested we add some Timestamp to APs and Entries
to manage a differed evaluation of references to Subentries.

First, let's use the term 'SeqNumber' instead of 'Timestamp', as we
don't need such a value to be time based.

So far, it seems to be a valid idea, except that we won't be able to use
only one SeqNumber for all the AP types : we need one per role.
The rational is that SAP are exclusive, but only withing their roles.
What that means is that when you have two SAPs with the same role in a
tree, any entry below the lower SAP will only depends on this lower SAP,
not the other one. But if the entry is below two different SAPs, and if
we update the upper SAP, we have to know that this upper SAP has been
updated when processing the entry. With only one SeqNumber, that won't work.

So we need 4 SeqNumbers, to manage the AccessControl,
CollectiveAttribute, TriggerExecution and SubSchema roles.

It's not really a big deal, as all those seqNumber will be updated only
once per entry.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,