directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AdministrativePoint handling
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 12:51:23 GMT
On 12/13/10 1:28 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> the lazy evaluation sounds interesting, great idea.
>
> Just to clarify:
> You are talking only about the process to determine which AP and ACIs
> are applied to an entry (which is done by evaluating all AP subtree
> specifications), right?

Right.
> The concrete evaluation of the ACI must always be done whenever the
> user accesses an entry, right?
Absolutely.

For ACI, it's a 2 steps evaluation in any case, but we expect to save
the first step
- evaluating if the entry is part of the area
- evaluating if the entry meets the selection

> I both is right, I wonder if the evaluation of the ACIs isn't much
> more expensive then the evaluation of the subtree specifications.
It is, but if the entry is not withing the area, we spare the second
step, which is complex and costly. This is why it's important to have it
precomputed.

For the other aspects (Trigger Execution, CollctiveAttributes and
SubSchema), the second step is not existing, so if we can spare the
first step, the gain is major.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,