directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [AdminPoint] Rename, Move&Rename and Compare operations
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:02:16 GMT

On 17 déc. 2010, at 16:43, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Here are the last possible operations :
>
> Rename operation
> ================
> A rename should not impact the Administrative Model at all, assuming that a subentry
renaming just impact the cn attribute (the RFC stipulates that a subentry RDN *must* use the
cn AT only)

I disagree.
Rename could have a disastrous impact.
A change in a value may invalidate the evaluated subentries.
Especially if an entry is used a base entry of the subtreespecification of a subentry.
In that case the whole subtree under this entry needs to be invalidated.

> Move and Rename operation
> As the rename operation has no impact, the Move&Rename is exactly the same operation
than the Move operation. We will use the same algorithms.

I think we need to use both Move and Rename algorithms, one after another.