Absolutely. It's just that when you add a value to the fields, then avoid using the getOrdinal() method ;)

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Felix Knecht <felixk@apache.org> wrote:
Don't be as idiot as I was : use getValue instead of getOrdinal, which
is based on the field order. Also always declare a 'value' field, not an
'ordinal' field, as it was done in many case...

Well, it depends always on the use case. Some time ago when I fixed DIRSHARED-64 (Transform IStates and inherited interfaces/implementing classes to enums) I finally realized, that it's not really necessary to have a custom value. Sometimes the use of the ordinal can make sense as well (http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=1028638&view=rev).

--
Regards,
Cordialement,