On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@apache.org> wrote:
On 11/27/10 2:32 PM, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
Atm I'm reviewing what we have done, and try to clean up the thing, as the
code we wrote at the end is different from what we started with, as we
improved the process a lot. There are a few points I think worth discussing.

- The loggers. Currently, we use a per class logger. I think it's
inaccurate, as we won't be able to group all the logs for a specific
protocol in one single logger. Of course, if we want to disable the codec
logs, we can always do that by filtering on the package, but I think we
could also decide to generate all the logs into one single logger, called
"CODEC". wdyt ?

IMO this should be the way to go, how about KRB-CODEC

That won't work, as the classes are shared with the LDAP codec and all the controls codec...

You know what might help is a mapped diagnostic context (MDC). You can use context information in these codec classes to report what it's being used for and filter logs accordingly.

We have support for this in MINA with the MDC filter [0]. We also have support in Log4J for it [1].

Regards,
--Alex

----
[0] - http://alturl.com/tepw7