On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:
Hi Dev,

I'd like to propose two modifications for ApacheDS projects.

I think the project 'server-config' should be renamed as 'apacheds-server-config' (to be consistent with others projects). It's the only project starting with a 'server' string and all other projects have a name starting with 'apacheds-something'.

I'd also like to split the 'server-config' project in two parts.
The first part, which would contain most of the classes and resources, will be responsible for reading the server config and generating config beans out of it.
The second part would only contain the ConfigBuilder class which instantiate 'real' server objects out of the config beans (this part would depend on the first part of course).

This name ConfigBuilder is a bit confusing. On first glance I thought it builds the configuration beans. Perhaps we should call it InstanceBuilder or FooBuilder where Foo is the top-level object that it builds.

This is particularly important for Studio.
With this separation the first part has very few dependencies (which is great and easy to use in Studio):
- apacheds-core-api
- apacheds-i18n
- apacheds-ldif-partition ('test' scope)
- apacheds-xdbm-partition
- shared-ldap
- junit-addons ('test' scope)

The current 'server-config' project has 21 dependencies defined and is a real mess to integrate in Studio, especially when all you need is only accessing the config beans.

Thoughts ?

+1 - makes total sense.

Thanks Pierre!

Alex Karasulu