Alex,

the Apache Directory Studio schema editor reexports 'versionNumber ' as dmVyc2lvbk51bWJlciA= in LDIF. I read that there is a convention that strings with trailing spaces have to be encoded in LDIF. This LDIF has been imported into Apache DS 1.5.7 and the server was able to restart. So the persistent storage of this value might have been done incorrectly by Apache DS trunk.

Regards,

Antoine