directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Rename project 'server-config' to 'apacheds-server-config' + Move 'ConfigBuilder' class into a separate project
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2010 18:10:25 GMT
Done!

I renamed the 'server-config' project to 'apacheds-server-config'.

The 'ConfigBuilder' class has been extracted into a separate new 'apacheds-server-config-builder'
project to reduce the number of dependencies on the 'apacheds-server-config' project.

I agree with Alex, the 'ConfigBuilder' naming is a bit confusing... Same thing for the 'apacheds-server-config-builder'
project.
Got any better names ?

Emmanuel proposed 'InstancesBuilder' for the class ('apacheds-server-instances-builder' for
the project).

Thanks,
Pierre-Arnaud

On 16 nov. 2010, at 17:10, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:
> Hi Dev,
>
> I'd like to propose two modifications for ApacheDS projects.
>
> I think the project 'server-config' should be renamed as 'apacheds-server-config' (to
be consistent with others projects). It's the only project starting with a 'server' string
and all other projects have a name starting with 'apacheds-something'.

> I'd also like to split the 'server-config' project in two parts.
> The first part, which would contain most of the classes and resources, will be responsible
for reading the server config and generating config beans out of it.
> The second part would only contain the ConfigBuilder class which instantiate 'real' server
objects out of the config beans (this part would depend on the first part of course).

> This name ConfigBuilder is a bit confusing. On first glance I thought it builds the configuration
beans. Perhaps we should call it InstanceBuilder or FooBuilder where Foo is the top-level
object that it builds.

> This is particularly important for Studio.
> With this separation the first part has very few dependencies (which is great and easy
to use in Studio):
> - apacheds-core-api
> - apacheds-i18n
> - apacheds-ldif-partition ('test' scope)
> - apacheds-xdbm-partition
> - shared-ldap
> - junit-addons ('test' scope)
>
> The current 'server-config' project has 21 dependencies defined and is a real mess to
integrate in Studio, especially when all you need is only accessing the config beans.