directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: I'm confused
Date Sun, 21 Nov 2010 18:04:36 GMT
On Sunday, November 21, 2010, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/21/10 12:29 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Felix Knecht<felix@otego.com>  wrote:
>

> What's the meaning of this method WRT to its comment and its naming (value
> is declared as int):
>
> /**
>   * @return The hex value for this flag, in its position.
>   * For instance, getting the flag 5 will return 0x0000 0010
>   */
> public int getHexValue()
> {
>     return 1<<  value;
> }
>
> - IMO a hex is an alphanumeric pattern (abcdef0123456789), so how can this
> method return an int representing a hex?
> - 'value' represents all set flags, nto a specific one, but no method
> parameter is given to specifiy a specific flag ...
>
> Any ideas ?
>

> Yeah that's pretty cryptic. You're just multiplying by 2 here.
>
> no. It's 2 power2 value. What the method does is that it set a bit in the fifth position.

I have no idea where u are coming from here. A bit shift to the right
doubles the value and yes I know it's a pow2 thing. Just what point
are you trying to make?

> Not sure it's useful though.
>
> First off this method is never used anywhere so you can delete it. I have no
> idea where it came from or where it might have been used if at all.
>
> +1
>
> The javadoc example is all dorked too. The hex value shown is not 5 which
> should be 0x0000 0101. Maybe the bit shift was intended in the other
> direction by the javadoc. The history on this is lost from svn blame so hard
> to tell what it was about. Regardless the end result should be 0x0000 1010
> which is 8+2 or 10.
>
> nope, the end result is correct. But anyway, this is typically an over-engineered piece
of code, a YAGNI

My point was the javadoc is not consistent with what this stupid
method does. The javadoc comment example would be a bit shift to the
right, not to the left as is done.

Anyways this is not a big deal. I think your tired and not
understanding what I am writing and just saying no or nope to
everything I write.

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org