directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use classloader with index to extract schema
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2010 13:18:27 GMT
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm trying to get Studio's UI tests working again. I updated ApacheDS
>> and Shared dependencies to current trunk. I had problems when using
>> the FrameworkRunner (which starts an embedded ApacheDS). The schema
>> extractor uses the java.class.path to scan the JARs for schema LDIF
>> files. However in the Eclipse RCP (OSGi) environment the
>> java.class.path only contains the bootstrap JAR. Similar issues were
>> already reported in [1] and [2].
>>
>> Owen Jacobson proposed in [2] to use an index file that lists all
>> schema LDIF files. I think that's a great idea. I tested the solution
>> in a branch [3] and it works fine for the UI tests. I think it should
>> also work for other cases. Unfortunately I can't run the full ApacheDS
>> test suite atm.
>>
>> I created the index file with
>>    find src/main/resources/schema -name "*.ldif" | sed
>> 's:src/main/resources/::'
>> and added it to SVN
>> (src/main/resources/META-INF/apacheds-schema.index). A better solution
>> would be to generate the index file during the build, and to avoid its
>> addition to version control. One way would be to execute that (or a
>> similar) command using the exec-maven-plugin, but it only works on
>> Unix. A better way would be to create a new Maven plugin (I searched
>> but didn't find an existsing Maven plugin that scan the file system
>> and creates a file list).
>>

> This schema file will need to be updated I guess when users create a new
> schema in ApacheDS correct?
users have two options:
1. if a user wants his schema to be loaded by the server then bundling
the schema within the
    standard apacheds-ldap-schema jar and updating this file is the
only way to go

2. load their custom schema using a LDAP client or through their
application code

we should suggest users to use the 2nd method so that we can find the
default schema files using
the index file which will solve all the classpath related issues we
are facing to load schema.

--
Kiran Ayyagari