directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Kerberos codec and other codec, and a bit of 'state of the nation'
Date Sat, 27 Nov 2010 17:49:38 GMT
On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecharny@apache.org>wrote:

> On 11/27/10 2:32 PM, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
>
>> Atm I'm reviewing what we have done, and try to clean up the thing, as the
>>
>>> code we wrote at the end is different from what we started with, as we
>>> improved the process a lot. There are a few points I think worth
>>> discussing.
>>>
>>> - The loggers. Currently, we use a per class logger. I think it's
>>> inaccurate, as we won't be able to group all the logs for a specific
>>> protocol in one single logger. Of course, if we want to disable the codec
>>> logs, we can always do that by filtering on the package, but I think we
>>> could also decide to generate all the logs into one single logger, called
>>> "CODEC". wdyt ?
>>>
>>>  IMO this should be the way to go, how about KRB-CODEC
>>

> That won't work, as the classes are shared with the LDAP codec and all the
> controls codec...

You know what might help is a mapped diagnostic context (MDC). You can use
context information in these codec classes to report what it's being used
for and filter logs accordingly.

We have support for this in MINA with the MDC filter [0]. We also have
support in Log4J for it [1].

Regards,
--Alex

----