directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Many threads started by Ehcache when running core-integ
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2010 08:10:27 GMT
On 11/24/10 8:58 AM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I had (and still have) problems running the core-integ tests on a
> Windows 7 VM. A first analysis using jvisualvm showed that for each
> test two new threads were started from Ehcache and never stopped. The
> cause is that for each new DirectoryService instance a new
> CacheManager is created in CacheService.
Don't we shutdown the CacheManager when the DS is stopped ?
> To solve that problem I tried to to call CacheManager.shutdown() in
> CacheService.destroy(). However then the DNFactory didn't work any
> more because it uses a static reference to the cache and that could be
> a shutted down instance.
I guess you answered my question :) And this is bad design if the
DNFactory uses a static cache reference.
> So the next step was to transform the static DNFactory. I renamed
> DNFactory to DefaultDNFactory, extracted an DNFactory interface and
> removed some unused methods. The DNFactory is now an instance of the
> directory service and managed by the directory service. A consequence
> is that some test classes can't use the DNFactory any more because it
> needs to be initialized by the DirectoryService.
That's a good move; And regarding the DNFactory, we just have to define
a mock DS to create the needed cacheManager.
> In the end we still create a new CacheManager (which starts its two
> threads) for each test but the threads are stopped after each test.
Great ! Thanks for having dealt with this issue.

Designing an efficient cache system is not easy... I don't blame anyone
for he current design, it's just that it's hard.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,