directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Community] How to get started?
Date Sat, 20 Nov 2010 11:26:39 GMT
On 11/20/10 11:41 AM, Marcos Roriz wrote:
> Thank you very much for the fast reply.
>
> I'll start to dig into the documentation and pick some cool Jira
> bug/requests ASAP =).

Hi Marcos,

sure, JIRA is the simplest way to get started. However, in our very
case, it may be like contemplating a 10000 thousands pieces puzzle.

FYI, the LDAP server code is quite big. It's actually more than 365 000
single lines of code (around 800 000 with comments and white lines).
Getting a grip on it is tough. But its architecture allow a new comers
to cope with some small parts of it without being swamp in many
dependencies.

Let me suggest you some parts you may start with :
- there is something we need : a LDIF tool that compare two ldifs and
generate a 'diff' with a list of added entry, removed entry, and for
each modification, the list of added AttributeTypes, a list of delete
ATs, and for each modified ATs, the list of added values, the list of
removed values.

This might be a good way to get a grip with the server, getting use with
the API we have defined for the LDIF manipulation, and be useful at the
same time :)

I can create a JIRA for such a need. Note that it's up to you to pick
this part, or to select any other part you want to work on : nobody is
forcing you :)

In any case, thanks a lot, it will be a pleasure to have you join us !

--
Regards,
Cordialement,