directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some heads up about the Modify operation
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2010 16:30:56 GMT
On 11/7/10 5:08 PM, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
> On 11/6/10, Emmanuel Lecharny<elecharny@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> One thing is needed though : as we may have to update indexes, we have
>> to pass the original entry to the backend in order to do a diff to know
>> which indexes have been modified.
>>
> hmm, I didn't understand why we need to do this 'diff to know which
> indexes have been modified.'

Because some AT may have been added, some others may have been removed,
and some values can have been added or removed, all for indexed ATs. We
have no way to know which ATs have been impacted, and in which way,
without buildling a diff.

We can't use the Mods, because we may have operations impacting the
final index more than once, so better comparing the end results to the
original one with a diff.

>> In order to do that, w will need to add a CSN/TS cache, which is not too
>> complicated.
>>
> right, but I think having the CSN cache alone is enough

Probably. I may have overlooked the need to use the TS, true.

>> One last thing : I'm not sure we update the entryCSN when we modify an
>> entry. That may be a problem when dealing with replication. Some insight
>> is needed at this point.
> we do update this, but done in DefaaultPartitionNexus, may be we
> should move this to
> OperationAttributeInterceptor
Yeah, that would be probably better.

Thanks for the comments, Kiran.