directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving the configuration beans to core-api
Date Sun, 31 Oct 2010 17:51:37 GMT
 hi Emmanuel,

> Hi guys,
>
> now that the configuration branch has been merged back to trunk (with
> some bump in the road, I must admit : I just fixed some badly merged
IMO np, what you have done was huge in the branch
> file, which caused some errors), I'm now checking some classes that may
> need a bit of refactoring : the Index hierarchy.
>
> There is a base Index class, with two main children : AvlIndex and
> JdbmIndex. There is a third child, named genericIndex, which is only
> used to deal with junit annotations used to create a new server instance
> (it's a holder class). I was wondering if it would not be better to use
> the created IndexBean we have in server-config, but obviously, we can't
> if the beans are in server-config.
>
> I suggest that all those beans are moved to core-api, then used by the
> core/server-annotations projects to store the server configuration.
>
> That would help simplifying the Index hierarchy.

I initially agreed for move on IRC but on a second though after
reading this mail I think we
shouldn't do this:

 1. Moving all the beans to core-api *might* make other developers to use them
    everywhere in the code (be it in our server or in their apps) which IMHO not
    desirable for us.

  2. Having GenericIndex makes creating a index implementation easier and we can
      introduce a type parameter in the @CreateIndex annotation to
support various
      index implementations. e.x @CreateIndex( type=AvlIndex.class, ..)

 thanks for the great work on the configuration setup

--
Kiran Ayyagari