directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Checkstyle questions: inline conditionals, protected fields, Javadoc for private members
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2010 08:11:56 GMT
Hi dev,

we are trying to fix remaining checkstyle errors in shared [1] and
have some questions:

1. Inline Conditionals
We have 151 inline conditionals, should we get rid of them or should
we allow them?

IMO 'simple' inline conditionals are ok:
  return oid == null ? "" : oid;

Such constructs could be simplified
  return ( ( byteArray[index] == car ) ? true : false );
  return byteArray[index] == car;

However nested inline conditionals are hard to read and should be avoided:
  return ( val < 0 ? -1 : ( val > 0 ? 1 : val ) );

So what is our policy regarding inline conditionals? With checkstyle
we can't configure that simple inline conditionals are allowed but
more complex ones are not allowed. My opinion here is to find and
eliminate the complex ones and then to allow inline conditionals.

2. Protected Fields
We have 135 fields with 'protected' modifier. Checkstyle complains
that instead the modifier should be private accessor methods should be
used. The rationale is to enforce encapsulation. Should we configure
checkstyle to allow protected and/or package modifiers?

3. Javadoc for Private Members
Checkstyle complains about missing Javadoc of private fields. I think
we should relax that rule and don't force Javadoc for private fields
because IMO the variable name should be descriptive. Thoughts?

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] https://hudson.apache.org/hudson/view/Directory/job/dir-shared-metrics/