directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about the configuration layout
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 07:22:21 GMT
On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 6:10 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi guys,
>
> as I was writing the configuration documentation, based on the way we
> initialize the server, I went through the objectClasses we use to define the
> configuration for each element. That raised a question in my mind :
> - why don't we link the elements together ?
to simply put it it makes creating any new configuration element
a bottom-up approach rather than top-down, for ex.
to configure an LdapServer instance, the user needs to define
its containments like transports, extended handlers and sasl mechanisms first
and then take these DNs and add them to the LdapServer config entry for linking.
(the other approch is to add some non-existing DNs first and later remove it)

IMHO, I find this really complex, OTOH using this 'linking option'
user *might* spread
the config across the partition instead of under a single container

> Right now, we expect some code to put the glue between those elements (ie
> teh LdapServer OC does not contain any AT defining the DS to use, the DS
> does not contain the list of Partitions it uses, etc).
I would see it this way, it actually enforces a configuration policy that
any configurable container(e.x DS, LdapServer etc) object's
configuration should be present
*in* and *under* the associated container ldap entry
so all the configuration related to DS will be in and under the entry with DN
ads-directoryServiceId=default,ou=config

the way we find where the DS is configured is search for
(ads-directoryServiceId=default)
at ONE level scope and we know that the entire configuration related
to DS is present
in and under this returned entry

>Wouldn't it be better
> to add some AT in each elements to completely define, say, the LdapServer
> configuration from the LdapServer entry, following the contained ATs ?
IMHO, I don't think so

> One more thing : we should probably define an Abstract ads-oc OC containing
> the 'description' and 'ads-enabled' elements, which are present in all the
> OCs ? I propose such an OC to handle those informations :
>
> *A[ads-base]
>  m-may: description
>  m-may: ads-enabled
+1, this will really make the config more concise and we can add other
common ATs that
we are talking about like 'comment' that will allow users to add some
comments in the config
elements

> I have gathered all the existing OC with there MAY and MUST ATs, and listed
> them here. The A[xxx] notation describes an ABSTRACT OC. The --> notation
> defines a hierarchical relation between 2 OCs (ie OC2 --> OC1 means that OC1
> is the SUP in OC2). The * notation means that we may have from 0 to N
> distinguishedName in an AT. The ATs pointing to other ads OCs are also
> noted.
>
> With a little effort, I also think that reading such a hierarchy, we could
> automatically generate the beans using introspection, instead of writing a
> reader for each of those elements.
didn't understand completely, but, we need a reader to instantiate the beans
and we can also introspect based on the OCs and hierarchy rather than
the linked ATs

> [...]
>  m-may: ads-partitionSyncOnWrite
>
> ads-jdbmPartition --> ads-partition
>  m-may: ads-partitionCacheSize
>  m-may: ads-jdbmPartitionOptimizerEnabled
>  m-may: ads-jdbmIndexes* : distinguishedName (points to ads-jdbmIndex)
>
> A[ads-index] --> ads-base
>  m-must: ads-indexAttributeId
>
> ads-jdbmIndex --> ads-index
>  m-may: ads-indexFileName
>  m-may: ads-indexWorkingDir
>  m-may: ads-indexNumDupLimit
>  m-may: ads-indexCacheSize
>
> A[ads-transport] --> ads-base
>  m-must: ads-transportId
>  m-must: ads-systemPort
>  m-may: ads-transportAddress
>  m-may: ads-transportBacklog
>  m-may: ads-transportEnableSSL
>  m-may: ads-transportNbThreads
>
> ads-tcpTransport --> ads-transport
>
> ads-udpTransport --> ads-transport
>
> A[ads-server] --> ads-base
>  m-must: ads-serverId
>  m-must: ads-transports* : distinguishedName (points to ads-transport)
>
> A[ads-catalogBasedServer] --> ads-server
>  m-may: ads-serverDS
>  m-may: ads-searchBaseDN
>
> ads-ldapServer --> ads-catalogBasedServer
>  m-may: ads-ldapServerConfidentialityRequired
>  m-may: ads-ldapServerMaxSizeLimit
>  m-may: ads-ldapServerMaxTimeLimit
>  m-may: ads-ldapServerSaslHost
>  m-may: ads-ldapServerSaslPrincipal
>  m-may: ads-ldapServerSaslRealms
>  m-may: ads-ldapServerKeystoreFile
>  m-may: ads-ldapServerCertificatePassword
>  m-may: ads-replProviderImpl
>  m-may: ads-enableReplProvider
>  m-may: ads-saslMechHandlers* : distinguishedName (points to
> ads-ldapServerSaslMechanismHandler)
>  m-may: ads-extendedOps* : distingushedName (points to
> ads-ldapServerExtendedOpHandler)
>
> ads-kerberosServer --> ads-catalogBasedServer
>  m-may: ads-krbAllowableClockSkew
>  m-may: ads-krbEncryptionTypes
>  m-may: ads-krbEmptyAddressesAllowed
>  m-may: ads-krbForwardableAllowed
>  m-may: ads-krbPaEncTimestampRequired
>  m-may: ads-krbPostdatedAllowed
>  m-may: ads-krbProxiableAllowed
>  m-may: ads-krbRenewableAllowed
>  m-may: ads-krbKdcPrincipal
>  m-may: ads-krbMaximumRenewableLifetime
>  m-may: ads-krbMaximumTicketLifetime
>  m-may: ads-krbPrimaryRealm
>  m-may: ads-krbBodyChecksumVerified
>
> ads-dnsServer --> ads-catalogBasedServer
>
> ads-dhcpServer --> ads-catalogBasedServer
>
> ads-ntpServer --> ads-server
>
> ads-changePasswordServer --> ads-catalogBasedServer
>  m-may: ads-krbAllowableClockSkew
>  m-may: ads-krbEmptyAddressesAllowed
>  m-may: ads-krbEncryptionTypes
>  m-may: ads-krbPrimaryRealm
>  m-may: ads-chgPwdPolicyCategoryCount
>  m-may: ads-chgPwdPolicyPasswordLength
>  m-may: ads-chgPwdPolicyTokenSize
>  m-may: ads-chgPwdServicePrincipal
>
> ads-ldapServerSaslMechanismHandler --> ads-base
>  m-must: ads-ldapServerSaslMechName
>  m-must: ads-ldapServerSaslMechClassName
>  m-may: ads-ldapServerNtlmMechProvider
>
> ads-ldapServerExtendedOpHandler --> ads-base
>  m-must: ads-ldapServerExtendedOpHandlerClass

thanks Emmanuel

Kiran Ayyagari