directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ADS 2.0 layout
Date Thu, 28 Oct 2010 07:36:19 GMT
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm now trying to initialize the server after having read the
> configuration, and I have some issues with the instanceLayout : it's not
> possible right now to use this layout in the ConfigBuilder, as it's
> associated with the DirectoryService, but as we haven't initialized it,
> we can't access it.
>
> I think I have to inject this layout into the DirectoryServiceBean, but
> this default layout may be overloaded by some value stored into the
> configuration.

in this current situation we cannot start the server without defining
a work-dir or
instancelayout cause during the initial start we *need* to extract(to
where? this
is answered by the given workdir/instancelayou) the schema resources
and create a schema partition.
so there lies a chicke-egg issue, this is the main reason we cannot
store/read the workdir
location from config partition.
> The current default layout is the following :
> <directory root>
>    +-- conf/
>    |     |
>    |     +-- log4j.properties
>    |     |
>    |     +-- wrapper.conf
>    |     |
>    |     +-- config.ldif
>    +-- run/
>    +-- partitions/
>    +-- log/
>
> When reading the configuration, we will be able to modify some of those
> defaults :
> - Journal directory + file name (default to <directory root>/journal.ldif
this is possible
> - Index directory + file name
please note that this is *only* possible in case of JDBM, cause JDBM
lets us create
recordmanagers at different locations
In case of most(any) other partition implementations this option is not useful.

> We don't have the possibility to configure the partition path (it
> defaults to <directoryRoot>/<partitionName>) which is not good.
again this is only relevant for JDBM, no other partition
implementations may need it
> Also
> note that the partition is not stored into the partitions/ directory,
> because we don't have access to this parameter when creating the partition.
no it will be, perhaps you might have changed some code in the config
reader/creator
cause this is the directory which is passed while instantiating the
ConfigReader present in
trunk.

> I will add a working directory and a file name parameter in the
> Partition OC, plus a way to access the layout from the directoryService
> when building the elements, that should do the trick.
if it is possible then thats fine, but it might need some bends and
tricks to make it work..

Kiran Ayyagari