directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS 2.0] Should we remove the 'System' partition?
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 20:28:14 GMT
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 9:21 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

>  On 10/15/10 2:12 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>
>> Hi Dev,
>>
>> I'm really wondering if we should not remove the 'System' partition.
>>
> Good question ...

Been waiting for this for a while but always wanted a default partition with
nestable partitions underneath it. Spoke about this in another email on this
thread.

SNIP ..

I don't know the role of this entry 'prefNodeName=sysPrefRoot,ou=system', if
>> it still has any role?
>>
> No idea. The ou=cnfiguration branch is probably dead wood.

+1

 The following entries are not very useful too:
>> - ou=groups,ou=system
>>   | - cn=Administrators,ou=groups,ou=system
>> - ou=users,ou=system
>>
>> Isn't is better that the user creates its users in its own partition?
>> Even our admin user is not in the 'ou=users' organizational unit...
>>
> I *think* the ou=users,ou=system are usefull for kerberos and triplesec.

Yeah can't remember for sure. I know KRB defines path to users based on the
realm name transformation to DN using the domain-to-DN mapping technique
(think there's an real skinny RFC for this).

>  As you can see, the only valid information in the whole partition is the
>> credentials of the admin (should we say default) user.
>>
> probably.

Again the groups matter.

>  I really think this information should be placed in the configuration (we
>> could also allow the redefinition of the admin user DN).
>> It would allow the user to edit these settings without having to start the
>> server (at least) once.
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
> I think we can remove the ou=system partition at this point, and use the
> ou=config to store the informations related to the administrator.

That would be good but won't be trivial.

> So far, considering ou=system as a special partition is probably not
> anymore necessary.

Hope not.

> Note that, as Kiran said, this partition is used by a hell lot of tests, so
> removing it will be costly.

If we remove it, I would suggest we restore the automatic creation of the
> context entry : it's so painful to have to add it when we create a partition
> that we should find a way to do that automatically.

+1
--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org