directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: One moe thing about the DS paths
Date Thu, 28 Oct 2010 07:30:57 GMT
Hi Emmanuel,

On 28 oct. 2010, at 02:39, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> currently, the default working directory for DS is server-work, not partitions, as defined
in the InstanceLayout.

> I'm all for using partitions, I find it way easier to remember, and on line with the
current configuration.

> That raises some question, too :
> - should we declare the getter and setter for the log/conf/run/partitions paths in DirectoryService
?

-1, I think we should pass an InstanceLayout object instead and that object could be shared
between configuration objects.

> - the log directory and partitions directory *must* be configurable : on Linux, they
are likely to be move to /var/log and /var/run. How do we handle that ?

I'm not sure, I handled that correctly in the Linux installers (has to be checked).
AFAIR, it's possible to override the default ([InstallationLayout]/log] path with the use
of System properties defined when launching the server like "-Dapacheds.log.dir" and others.

> All these elements are well handled in the installers, we now have to clarify the way
they are used in the server.

As I said, it will probably need to be double-checked in the installers.

> One small last thing : currently, indexes files are named using the Attribute OID. I
find it not very friendly. Can't we use the Alias instead ?

+1, or the OID if the AT has no aliases.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud