directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving the configuration beans to core-api
Date Sun, 31 Oct 2010 21:11:40 GMT
On 10/31/10 9:54 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny<elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> There is a base Index class, with two main children : AvlIndex and
>> JdbmIndex. There is a third child, named genericIndex, which is only used to
>> deal with junit annotations used to create a new server instance (it's a
>> holder class).
>
> What's a holder class?
A POJO, if you prefer. It holds some value, but does not have any logic
inside. A Bean. A container.

As I'm going a but further in the code analysis, I see that Index are
handled in two steps in the server :
- first we create them
- then we initialize them.

When adding a partition with indices, the Index will have a different
type depending on the Partition's store type. We can create a JdbmIndex,
an AvlIndex, etc. That means we need to have an object containing the
Index description which will be used to instantiate the correct index
(and this is why we have this GenericIndex, plus some convertAndInit()
method in the different kinds of stores).

This does not seems to be the correct approach to me. What I would
prefer do is to use either the IndexBean (which has all the needed
parameters necessary to create an index), and let the Store creates the
correct index directly, instead of calling this convertAndInit method.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,