directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS 2.0] Should we remove the 'System' partition?
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 18:21:42 GMT
  On 10/15/10 2:12 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
> Hi Dev,
>
> I'm really wondering if we should not remove the 'System' partition.
Good question ...
> The only interesting piece of information we're taking from it is the admin user, especially
the its password.
> Wouldn't be more interesting to store this information in the config partition?
> Except the Admin user the other entries of that partition look like crap and legacy from
old versions.

> The following configuration entries are no longer used:
> - ou=configuration,ou=system
>    | - ou=interceptors,ou=configuration,ou=system
>    | - ou=partitions,ou=configuration,ou=system
>    | - ou=services,ou=configuration,ou=system
>
> I don't know the role of this entry 'prefNodeName=sysPrefRoot,ou=system', if it still
has any role?
No idea. The ou=cnfiguration branch is probably dead wood.
> The following entries are not very useful too:
> - ou=groups,ou=system
>    | - cn=Administrators,ou=groups,ou=system
> - ou=users,ou=system
>
> Isn't is better that the user creates its users in its own partition?
> Even our admin user is not in the 'ou=users' organizational unit...
I *think* the ou=users,ou=system are usefull for kerberos and triplesec.
> As you can see, the only valid information in the whole partition is the credentials
of the admin (should we say default) user.
probably.
> I really think this information should be placed in the configuration (we could also
allow the redefinition of the admin user DN).
> It would allow the user to edit these settings without having to start the server (at
least) once.

> WDYT?
I think we can remove the ou=system partition at this point, and use the
ou=config to store the informations related to the administrator.

So far, considering ou=system as a special partition is probably not
anymore necessary.

Note that, as Kiran said, this partition is used by a hell lot of tests,
so removing it will be costly.

If we remove it, I would suggest we restore the automatic creation of
the context entry : it's so painful to have to add it when we create a
partition that we should find a way to do that automatically.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,