directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: One moe thing about the DS paths
Date Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:31:16 GMT

On 28 oct. 2010, at 11:16, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> On 10/28/10 9:30 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>> Hi Emmanuel,
>>
>> On 28 oct. 2010, at 02:39, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>>
>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> currently, the default working directory for DS is server-work, not partitions,
as defined in the InstanceLayout.

>>> I'm all for using partitions, I find it way easier to remember, and on line with
the current configuration.

>>> That raises some question, too :
>>> - should we declare the getter and setter for the log/conf/run/partitions paths
in DirectoryService ?
>> -1, I think we should pass an InstanceLayout object instead and that object could
be shared between configuration objects.
> Problem is : this class is not visible from the configuration. It has to be moved to
another project then. To be discussed.

Not really an issue.
+1 on the move.

>>> - the log directory and partitions directory *must* be configurable : on Linux,
they are likely to be move to /var/log and /var/run. How do we handle that ?
>> I'm not sure, I handled that correctly in the Linux installers (has to be checked).
>> AFAIR, it's possible to override the default ([InstallationLayout]/log] path with
the use of System properties defined when launching the server like "-Dapacheds.log.dir" and
others.
> I know, it's just that we have to allow the user of the embeded version to do the same.

+1 we could have a specific setter for each directory in the installation. You could use it
to override the default value ([Instance directory]/specific directory).

>>> All these elements are well handled in the installers, we now have to clarify
the way they are used in the server.
>> As I said, it will probably need to be double-checked in the installers.
> Installers are OK. It's the embedded server which is an issue.

I'm not sure we're currently logging into /var/log on linux actually.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud