On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have successfully merged many modules in shared. The remaining modules are
> :
> - ldap-client-api
> - shared-all
> - shared-dsml-parser
> - shared-i18n
> - shared-ldap
> - shared-ldap-jndi
> - shared-ldap-schema

Thanks Emmanuel!

> There are a few more things we could do here :
> - ldap-client-api should also be merged in shared-ldap
> - shared-ldap-schema is a separate module, but I think it could also be
> injected into shared-ldap
> - shared-i18n is a separate module for convenience reason : it would have
> been painful to work on translation in another module.

Ok

> We can discuss further about what should be done in this area, I don't want
> to go too far and have to rollback.
>
> The next big step will be the shared/api renaming, something I'd like to do
> either this week-end or at the very beginning of next week. Then we will
> probably be ready for a API/shared release.
>
> One more thing, just to clarify my last mail about OSGi (I read it and found
> it a bit like I was micro-managing) : I think that we should wait for the
> next release of ADS (ie, post 2.0.0-RC1) because we will probably do some
> other changes in shared (like rename it to API) and we would like to release
> this asap. Working in a branch on OSGi is just a way to be sure that there
> won't be any contention in this area, and of course, if the OSGi
> implementation is finished before we are ready for a release, I have nothing
> against merging back the branch into trunk.

Is it really that difficult to make shared/api OSGi bundles? Please
correct me if I' wrong, but we just need to add the right
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF that could be generated by the Felix plugin.
Additionally we need to make sure that we have now split packages,
that is atm the case for o.a.d.shared.ldap.schema, but could be fixed
easy. My hope is that we can then use the shared/api bundle directly
in Studio.

Exactly it's not so much the manifest generation which is really easy with the Maven OSGi Plugin using BND. The problem really is making sure we have split packages. I wanted to sit down and review the current breakdown of our classes, interfaces and packages to see if we had the proper package/class/interface layout. The only part that I was worried about is getting all the exported classes right so the API will function properly.

I also thought this would be great for Studio as well cuz then the API jar is a bundle on it's own rather than being embedded into another bundle.

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org