directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS 2.0] Installation layout
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2010 03:19:15 GMT
Hi Pierre,

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net>wrote:

> Hi Dev,
>
> Since the 'server.xml' is now dead and buried, and the 2.0 release
> approaching, I'd like to start the refactoring of the installers and
> installation layouts.

Thanks for taking this on. I know we spoke about this a few times. Trying to
recall the conversations we had on it to add to this email.

> ApacheDS 1.5.x supported multiple instances (with a default instance
> created with each native installer), I think Apache DS 2.0 should continue
> to support this feature.

+1

> In order to do that, two default layouts need to be (re-)defined, one for
> Apache DS itself (the InstallationLayout) and one for each instance (the
> InstanceLayout).

Ahh yes we had conversations on the InstanceLayout and the
InstallationLayout.

> InstallationLayout
> ------------------------
> /bin
> /bin/apacheds(.exe)                     --> ApacheDS (Tanuki) wrapper
> /bin/apacheds-tools(.bat)               --> ApacheDS Tools command line
> script
> /conf/wrapper.conf                      --> Tanuki Wrapper configuration
> (common to all instances)
> /lib/                                                   --> Folder for all
> ApacheDS libraries
> /lib/lib-a.jar
> [...]
> /lib/lib-z.jar

+1 presuming we have a $INSTALLATION_PATH prefix to all these paths. If I
remember correctly we feed this parameter into the InstallationLayout
constructor to get the relavent resource paths from the InstallationLayout
object after instantiation.

> InstanceLayout
> ---------------------
> /conf/
> /conf/wrapper.conf                      --> Tanuki Wrapper configuration
> (specific to this instance)
> /conf/log4.properties                   --> Log4J configuration
> /conf/config.ldif                               --> LDIF based
> configuration file (also accessible under 'ou=config' when the server is
> started)
> /log/
> /log/apacheds-rolling.log               --> Log file (could also be placed
> at /var/log/apacheds-instancename/ under linux)
> /partitions/                                    --> Folder for all
> partition (except 'config')
> /partitions/example                     --> Example partition folder
> /partitions/schema                      --> Schema partition folder
> /partition/system                               --> System partition folder
> /run/
> /run/apacheds.pid                       --> Apache DS instance pid file
> when the server is running (could also be placed at /var/run/... under
> linux)

+1 and likewise we create the InstanceLayout object instance using the
InstallationLayout and the $INSTANCE_PATH as arguments into the
InstanceLayout constructor.

> Here's the layouts I had in mind.
> I tried to keep most of the existing stuff we already had.
>
> There are some things which need an extra work (like the LDIF based
> configuration on a single file, as well as the ability to save that outside
> of the boundaries of the 'partitions' folder.
> But I really think having all configuration files stored in a single
> location is a must.

+1

Also if I remember correctly we were using the layout for application files
expected of Linux systems. I forget exactly what you call it but it's where
you put some things in /opt/etc and some things under /var etc. There's an
acronym for it. You remember what that was called?

Anyways we were doing this as I recall to fit this file layout scheme for
application installations. Do you still intend to support this?

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org