directory-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Alex Karasulu <>
Subject Re: shared-ldap merge done
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:21:29 GMT
On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <>wrote:

>  On 9/18/10 9:20 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>>  One more thing, just to clarify my last mail about OSGi (I read it and
>>> found
>>> it a bit like I was micro-managing) : I think that we should wait for the
>>> next release of ADS (ie, post 2.0.0-RC1) because we will probably do some
>>> other changes in shared (like rename it to API) and we would like to
>>> release
>>> this asap. Working in a branch on OSGi is just a way to be sure that
>>> there
>>> won't be any contention in this area, and of course, if the OSGi
>>> implementation is finished before we are ready for a release, I have
>>> nothing
>>> against merging back the branch into trunk.
>> Is it really that difficult to make shared/api OSGi bundles? Please
>> correct me if I' wrong, but we just need to add the right
>> META-INF/MANIFEST.MF that could be generated by the Felix plugin.
>> Additionally we need to make sure that we have now split packages,
>> that is atm the case for o.a.d.shared.ldap.schema, but could be fixed
>> easy. My hope is that we can then use the shared/api bundle directly
>> in Studio.
> I have no idea. I just want to be sure that it does not stop us when we are
> so close to a release. We may aven do that after we have released Shared/API
> and before ApacheDS 2.0-RC1. I mean, we have almost closed all the issues we
> have in API and shared expecting to be able to release this week, and now
> that it's done, thinking about adding these OSGi stuff is just a bit too
> much for me. More or less, it's just a problem in the agenda, not a
> technical issue.
I agree with Emm here it's not worth the hassle unless you guys see it as a
clear benefit in Studio.

> In other word,s if this take 2 hours, and not 3 days, I'm +1, but what I'm
> afraid of is that we don't have enough people with some knowledge in this
> area to solve an issue that would potentially arise just before, or even
> worse, just after we have released.
Yes this is a worry of mine as well but I was thinking this was a small
effort for shared and much much more complicated for the server itself.

> That's all what I had in mind when I asked Alex to do that in a branch : I
> was scared that it can break the schedule we are trying to set :/
> May be I'm wrong, or just extra cautious, I don't know...
Let's play it safe and get the release out without worrying about this
additional factor.


Alex Karasulu
My Blog ::
Apache Directory Server ::
Apache MINA ::
To set up a meeting with me:

View raw message