directory-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Emmanuel Lecharny <>
Subject Re: shared-ldap merge done
Date Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:38:51 GMT
  On 9/18/10 9:20 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>> One more thing, just to clarify my last mail about OSGi (I read it and found
>> it a bit like I was micro-managing) : I think that we should wait for the
>> next release of ADS (ie, post 2.0.0-RC1) because we will probably do some
>> other changes in shared (like rename it to API) and we would like to release
>> this asap. Working in a branch on OSGi is just a way to be sure that there
>> won't be any contention in this area, and of course, if the OSGi
>> implementation is finished before we are ready for a release, I have nothing
>> against merging back the branch into trunk.
> Is it really that difficult to make shared/api OSGi bundles? Please
> correct me if I' wrong, but we just need to add the right
> META-INF/MANIFEST.MF that could be generated by the Felix plugin.
> Additionally we need to make sure that we have now split packages,
> that is atm the case for o.a.d.shared.ldap.schema, but could be fixed
> easy. My hope is that we can then use the shared/api bundle directly
> in Studio.

I have no idea. I just want to be sure that it does not stop us when we 
are so close to a release. We may aven do that after we have released 
Shared/API and before ApacheDS 2.0-RC1. I mean, we have almost closed 
all the issues we have in API and shared expecting to be able to release 
this week, and now that it's done, thinking about adding these OSGi 
stuff is just a bit too much for me. More or less, it's just a problem 
in the agenda, not a technical issue.

In other word,s if this take 2 hours, and not 3 days, I'm +1, but what 
I'm afraid of is that we don't have enough people with some knowledge in 
this area to solve an issue that would potentially arise just before, or 
even worse, just after we have released.

That's all what I had in mind when I asked Alex to do that in a branch : 
I was scared that it can break the schedule we are trying to set :/

May be I'm wrong, or just extra cautious, I don't know...

Emmanuel L├ęcharny

View raw message