directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Continuing the shared modules merge
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2010 13:18:25 GMT
  On 9/17/10 2:59 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Sounds good, except one thing: As we have a separate shared-dsml
> module and in your previous mail you said you want to keep it, I
> wonder if it makes sense to keep shared-ldif in a separate module? An
> the other side, LDIF is used all the time when dealing with LDAP.

To me, DSML is a different beast. LDIF is a base component used all over
the server, and the client obviously.

Don't get me wrong : I don't want to end with a giant shared-ldap module
containing everything, but limit the number of modules we are dealing
with. At the end of this refactoring, we should keep :
- shared-ldap
- shared-dsml
- shared-jndi
- shared-i18n

and that's it.

Another aspect is that I'm not only doing this refactory to gather the
maximum classes in a singe module, but when we will rename shared to
API, it will generate less work and problems.

Also I consider we went too far with the multiplication of modules. The
server is probably a different problem though, as the modules are used
to help us keeping each concern in an isolated component.

We should keep in mind one thing when creating a module : is this module
standalone, or can be used on one side only (ie, client or server) ? If
the answer is no to those two questions, I think we should start
thinking about merging them.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,