directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: API / shared merge
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:23:27 GMT
  On 9/14/10 12:50 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Kiran Ayyagari<kayyagari@apache.org>wrote:
>> we should move them all out of api except ACI, cause studio can use the
>> ACI parser and also we might provide some easy to use api for
>> setting and storing ACI programmatically
>>
> Again this is a problem because we're trying to turn shared into API and
> these are not interchangeable I think. Things in shared are not for API. We
> should step carefully.
In fact, most of what we have in shared is useful for the API. We have
very few elements that are not necessary for the API, and I think we can
live with those small parts in the API. I would say that 95% of the
current shared is also used in the API.

>>> At last before publishing an API we should decide which classes we
>>> consider as public API and which classes are for internal use only.
>> yeah, but am afraid it will delay the release by few more days
>>
> I agree with your words of caution. As long as there are doubts and we've
> not done everything in terms of mapping out what exists and the several
> levels of problems that could result we might want to not do this right now.
> It will take a long time to do this properly. A quick rearrangement that is
> not thorough will just require us to do this again. And this might piss off
> our users needlessly.
Currently, we will not experiment a lot of problems doing the merge. I
don't forsee lots of them, at least. That does not mean we should jump
in without caution. I just think that in the past 2 months, we are
moving around this merge, and we already have quite a thorough vision of
what should be done and what should not be done. This is the reason
those mails were posted : we are almost ready for the big jump.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,