directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: API / shared merge
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2010 21:59:19 GMT
  On 9/9/10 9:09 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny<elecharny@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>   Hi guys,
>>
>> it seems that when I did the big modification (merging all the Messages)
>> last month, I forgot to uncomment the dsml-parser which is part of shared.
>>
>> I had it working by pointing to the ldap-api project, as it now depends on
>> it, but that was not enough to be able to build it when uncommented in the
>> shared/pom.xml file, as shared does not depend on ldap-api.
>>
>> However, in my mind, the next step was to integrate the ldap-api project
>> into shared (well, imo, shared<==>  ldap API up to a point).
>>
>> Here is what I suggest we do :
>> - move ldap-client into shared
>> - rename shared to ldap-api
>> - move all the DIR-SHARED issues to DIRAPI
>> - and release ldap-api
> I agree and would like to discuss some more steps before releasing the API:
> - should we rename the package names o.a.d.shared or keep it?
IMO, we should rename it to something like ldapApi
> - about the number of modules, should we merge some? Especially the
> ldap-schema* modules contain only 10 classes splitted into 3 modules.
Yes, definitively yes.
> - the shared-ldap module contains some packages that are not directly
> related to a client API: aci, sp, trigger, subtree.Should we still
> keep them in the ldap-api project or move them to a server module?
aci are likely to be used on the client side, as you may want to
manipulate them on the browser. The very same for subtree.

sp and trigger is a bit different, but again, as this is up to the
'client' to inject SP and triggers into the server, I *think* they might
remain on the client API.

> At last before publishing an API we should decide which classes we
> consider as public API and which classes are for internal use only.
Absolutely.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,