directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: I18n for debug messages ?
Date Sun, 05 Sep 2010 08:48:27 GMT
  On 9/5/10 10:36 AM, Howard Chu wrote:
> Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Emmanuel
>> Lecharny<elecharny@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>   Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure it's worthy to move DEBUG level messages to i18n. To
>>> me, FATAL,
>>> ERROR, INFO and WARNING should be i18ned, but DEBUG messages are
>>> more an
>>> indication for high level developpers who will have a clue about what's
>>> going on in the server, mainly us, in fact.
>> +1, let us keep DEBUG messages without i18n, having them in plain text
>> in the code improves
>>    readability during debugging
>
> It's a real pain to grep or google for error messages if you have to
> cover multiple languages in your search...
sure enough. Hopefully, all our messages have a code, like ERR_XXXX, so
whatever language the user has, it should be easy to get a clue about
what's going on. (assuming we don't modify the number from version X to
version Y of course !)

(I should check we add this ERR_XXXXX number in front of messages...)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,