directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS 2.0] Installation layout
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:26:53 GMT
I created two branches to work on those refactorings:
- https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/daemon/branches/daemon-apacheds-2.0
- https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/installers/branches/installers-apacheds-2.0

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

On 14 sept. 2010, at 18:47, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:
>> Hi Dev,
>>
>> Since the 'server.xml' is now dead and buried, and the 2.0 release approaching, I'd
like to start the refactoring of the installers and installation layouts.

>> ApacheDS 1.5.x supported multiple instances (with a default instance created with
each native installer), I think Apache DS 2.0 should continue to support this feature.
>> In order to do that, two default layouts need to be (re-)defined, one for Apache
DS itself (the InstallationLayout) and one for each instance (the InstanceLayout).

>> InstallationLayout
>> ------------------------
>> /bin
>> /bin/apacheds(.exe)                     --> ApacheDS (Tanuki) wrapper
>> /bin/apacheds-tools(.bat)               --> ApacheDS Tools command line script
>> /conf/wrapper.conf                      --> Tanuki Wrapper configuration (common
to all instances)
>> /lib/                                                   --> Folder for all ApacheDS
libraries
>> /lib/lib-a.jar
>> [...]
>> /lib/lib-z.jar
>>
>> InstanceLayout
>> ---------------------
>> /conf/
>> /conf/wrapper.conf                      --> Tanuki Wrapper configuration (specific
to this instance)
>> /conf/log4.properties                   --> Log4J configuration
>> /conf/config.ldif                               --> LDIF based configuration file
(also accessible under 'ou=config' when the server is started)
>> /log/
>> /log/apacheds-rolling.log               --> Log file (could also be placed at
/var/log/apacheds-instancename/ under linux)
>> /partitions/                                    --> Folder for all partition (except
'config')
>> /partitions/example                     --> Example partition folder
>> /partitions/schema                      --> Schema partition folder
>> /partition/system                               --> System partition folder
>> /run/
>> /run/apacheds.pid                       --> Apache DS instance pid file when the
server is running (could also be placed at /var/run/... under linux)

>> Here's the layouts I had in mind.
>> I tried to keep most of the existing stuff we already had.
>>
>> There are some things which need an extra work (like the LDIF based configuration
on a single file, as well as the ability to save that outside of the boundaries of the 'partitions'
folder.