On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:16 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:
Hi Emmanuel, Kiran, guys n gals,

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 9:19 PM, Kiran Ayyagari <kayyagari@apache.org> wrote:

> so, wdyt ? Should we keep the machinery that allow us to change the codec by
> using an environment variable ?
IMHO let us keep it, AFAIU this is transparent to the end or API user
right? if yes, then I think it is
better to remove it in another release.

P.S:- perhaps this will save us some debug headaches, if at all arise,
as we are making great
        level of refactoring for the upcoming 2.0

If Kiran is correct about the exposure to the API end user, then I agree with Kiran here unless of course there's a lot of headache you're dealing with because of this Emmanuel. If you feel it's too much of a problem just nix it.

BTW reverting this change if we have to might not be so hard if in fact we feel that need. However if we do add some new capabilities like streaming content (if you remember all the Value based work we experimented with) you might want to leave it to test codec variation to see if bugs are due to one codec implementation. Then again it's not so big of a change to revert if we do need it. So it seems I can go either way :-).

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org