directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Do we need to keep the encoder/decoder Provider stuff ?
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 20:21:03 GMT
On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:16 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi Emmanuel, Kiran, guys n gals,
>
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 9:19 PM, Kiran Ayyagari <kayyagari@apache.org>wrote:
>

>> > so, wdyt ? Should we keep the machinery that allow us to change the
>> codec by
>> > using an environment variable ?
>> IMHO let us keep it, AFAIU this is transparent to the end or API user
>> right? if yes, then I think it is
>> better to remove it in another release.
>>
>> P.S:- perhaps this will save us some debug headaches, if at all arise,
>> as we are making great
>>         level of refactoring for the upcoming 2.0
>>

> If Kiran is correct about the exposure to the API end user, then I agree
> with Kiran here unless of course there's a lot of headache you're dealing
> with because of this Emmanuel. If you feel it's too much of a problem just
> nix it.

BTW reverting this change if we have to might not be so hard if in fact we
feel that need. However if we do add some new capabilities like streaming
content (if you remember all the Value based work we experimented with) you
might want to leave it to test codec variation to see if bugs are due to one
codec implementation. Then again it's not so big of a change to revert if we
do need it. So it seems I can go either way :-).

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org