directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Interested in getting involve, have run into a problem
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2010 18:09:12 GMT
hi Richard,

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Richard Feezel <rfeezel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 4:14 AM, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 2:45 AM, Richard Feezel <rfeezel@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Greetings,
>> > I'm very interested in this project and would like to participate.
>> > I have extensive experience writing Java (since 1.1 in 1998), I'm
>> > interested
>> > in network infrastructures and security.
>>
>> Great! Welcome!
>>
>> > I have Eclipse 3.6 installed and up-to-date.  I have subclipse, maven,
>> > m2eclipse, and m2eclipse/scm integration installed.  I have used the
>> > Eclipse
>> > Import "Check out Maven projects from SCM" function to pull the sources
>> >
>> > from http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/apacheds/trunk-with-dependencies/
>> > I have revision 983328.
>> > Eclipse is showing 110 errors, all of them in "shared-ldap" and
>> > "shared-ldap-converter" reporting unresolved references to things named
>> > Antlr.....
>>
>> The Antlr... classes are generated during the build in maven's
>> generate-sources phase to target/generated-sources/antlr. Is this
>> folder included as source folder in your Eclipse? Otherwise run the
>> "generate-sources" goal with m2eclipse and afterwards run "Update
>> Project Configuration", this should add the generated sources you
>> Eclipse's source folders.
>>
>> Side note: we usually don't use m2eclipse. We checkout the
>> trunk-with-dependencies from command line. Then run 'mvn clean
>> install' (or 'mvn clean install -DskipTests' is faster). Then run 'mvn
>> eclipse:eclipse'. Then import the projects into Eclipse, using the
>> classical import wizard, not the m2eclipse import.
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>> Stefan
>
> Stefan,
> Thanks for the extensive and informative reply.  I wished I'd known these
> procedures before I spent so much time stumbling around!  I'm sure part of
> my stumbling is related to my being a first-time user of Maven.  I need to
> find a good description of what Maven does and how to use it.  I have the
> impression there is significant overlap between Maven and some of the
> built-in capabilities within Eclipse.  Where can I learn what Maven goals
> are available and what they accomplish?
> Eclipse is showing me over 1000 warnings and I noticed many of them are
> related to incomplete use of Generics.  Part of the issue seems to be
> related to external projects like "commons" not using generics.  I started
> exploring the code by jumping to some of the warnings regarding Generics and
> seeing if I could correct them.  In many cases they seemed to be fixable
> with modest effort.  However, as I went through the LDAP helper SoftCache
> and related classes I discovered what seemed to be a bug.  Looking around I
> don't see any usage references to SoftCache so there's probably no impact at
> this point.
this class belongs to the JDBM code, which we use as the primary
backend, yes chances are
that many of the JDBM caches are not used at the moment cause we use
some higher level
caches
> What is the procedure for suggesting corrections and Generification
you are welcome :) , we use JIRA [1] for raising bug/enhancement
reports (some times for tasks too) having said this try to pickup one
existing bug/task from jira and try to work on it
this will give you a better understanding about various modules and
the over all design
(currently we are working towards a 2.0 RC1 release)

> enhancements?  Since I'm not officially a contributor I can't simply
> "commit" changes to Subversion.
you can attach patches to the JIRA so that we can review and commit

> At this point I wouldn't think that was
> appropriate anyway since I have so little experience with the code.  I would
> want someone more familiar look over what I was proposing.
sure, we all hang at #apache-directory-dev on irce.freenode.net , if
possible join us there

Kiran Ayyagari

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER