directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Message data structure merge heads up
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2010 00:06:39 GMT
  On 8/12/10 1:50 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 2:40 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny<elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> What exactly is cleaner?
Cleaner => less class, less conversion from class X to class Y.

If we consider a request sent from a client using the clinet API to the
server, here are the conversion we are doing atm :

client -> AddRequest (API class) creation ---> converted to
AddRequestCodec ---> converted to byte[] --->
( -- network -- ) ---> converted to AddRequestCodec ---> converted to
AddRequestImpl (internal structure used in the server ---> Add
processing  ---> AddResponseImpl creation ---> conversion to
AddResponseCodec ---> converted to byte[] --->
( -- network -- ) ---> converted to AddResponseCodec ---> converted the
AddResponse (Cient API class) !

As we can see, there are mandatory conversions (from message to byte[]
or byte[] to message), but every message ---> message conversion are
totaly a waste of time, CPU and code.

I'm "cleaning" this.

> What I am afraid of is that this might be a bit
> more personal perspective.
Nope. This has been discussed lately, and it's a decision we took in
order to be able to modify the client API, as we can't transform the
lookup() method to make it returning an Entry, just because of those
spurious classes.

Anyway, this is a 5 years old task whch has been postponed for ever, and
august is a good period to do such modifications.
>   Also is this being done in a branch so the net
> affect on the API can be evaluated?
Of course ! Follow the commits ...

--
Regards,