directory-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Knecht <fe...@otego.com>
Subject Documentation -> docbook ?
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 15:13:42 GMT
If we want to switch documentation to docbook I think it's time to talk
about it, so we can get documentation ready in parallel to the release
of a next release of the application.

It seems I'm not the only one playing around with docbook plugins.

I'm the same opinion like Stefan, that the docbkx plugin [1] can be a
good and quite easy solution to generate html/pdf from docbook.

Apart from moving existing documentation and updating it there are some
other task which are IMO to be solved before starting docbook documentation:

1. About which documentation are we talking? Are only the manuals for
the Studio/ApacheDS application meant (I hope so) or do we talk about
the whole website?

2. What kind of customization do we want/need? ATM we have a
recognizable layout for all the directory stuff. Shall this layout be
kept for docbook documentation if possible (html?, pdf?, ..?)?

3. When talking only about manuals -> how shall the be integrated into
the existing website?

4. How can the generate docbook docs be deployed and when shall they be
deployed?

5. How dependent are the docs in relation to the applications - are the
docbook docs a separate module or are they included as module in the
related application? IMO the docs should be releasable independent of a
release of he application, otherwise it's difficult to fix documentation
bugs.

There're probably more task to be solved before, so please complete the
list.

Do other things (e.g. like a favourite docbook editor) also need to be
discussed?

Do we need to vote in the end of this discussion?

WDYT?

Regards
Felix

PS:
It seemed to me that - after various notes on the dev/user list - it's
time to start this discussion. If it's the wrong time, please insist.